List of centuries scored on One Day International cricket debut
A cricketer scoring a century (100 runs or more) on his One Day International (ODIs) debut is regarded by critics as a significant achievement. As of September 2016, 12 players from 9 different international teams have accomplished this feat. Players representing eight of the ten teams that have full member status have scored an ODI century on debut; no players from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have accomplished the feat.
England's Dennis Amiss was the first debutant to score a century in ODIs; he scored 103 runs off 134 balls against Australia during the first match of the Prudential Trophy in 1972.[lower-alpha 1] His total was surpassed by Desmond Haynes of West Indies when he made 148 against Australia in 1978. As of 2016, this remains the highest individual score by a debutant in ODIs. In a 1992 World Cup game against Sri Lanka, Andy Flower made 115 not out while making his first ODI appearance, representing Zimbabwe. It remains the only World Cup century by a debutant as of the 2015 tournament. In September 1995, Pakistan's Saleem Elahi set a record for becoming the youngest player to achieve the feat; aged 18, he was yet to play first-class cricket then. Between 1972 and 1995 only four players had scored a century on their ODI debut. However, since 2009, eight players have achieved the feat. South Africa's Temba Bavuma the most recent cricketer, made 115 off 123 balls against Ireland in June 2016. None of the players, with the exception of Haynes and Chapman, managed a strike rate of more than 100 while scoring a century. Of the twelve occasions a cricketer has scored a century on ODI debut, their team has lost only two times.[lower-alpha 2]
|Runs||Number of runs scored|
|*||Batsman remained not out|
|Batsman was awarded the man of the match title|
|S/R||Strike rate of the batsman (runs scored per 100 balls)|
|Inn.||Innings of the match in which the batsman scored his century|
|No result||The match had no result|
One Day International centuries on debut
|1||Amiss, DennisDennis Amiss||103||76.86||2||England||Australia||Old Trafford, Manchester, England||24 August 1972||Won|
|2||Haynes, DesmondDesmond Haynes||148||108.82||2||West Indies||Australia||Antigua Recreation Ground, St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda||22 February 1978||Won|
|3||Flower, AndyAndy Flower||115*||75.65||1||Zimbabwe||Sri Lanka||Pukekura Park, New Plymouth, New Zealand||23 February 1992||Lost|
|4||Elahi, SaleemSaleem Elahi||102*||76.69||2||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||Jinnah Stadium, Gujranwala, Pakistan||29 September 1995||Won|
|5||Guptill, MartinMartin Guptill||122*||90.37||1||New Zealand||West Indies||Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand||10 January 2009||No result|
|6||Ingram, ColinColin Ingram||124||98.41||1||South Africa||Zimbabwe||Chevrolet Park, Bloemfontein, South Africa||15 October 2010||Won|
|7||Nicol, RobRob Nicol||108*||82.44||2||New Zealand||Zimbabwe||Harare Sports Club, Harare, Zimbabwe||20 October 2011||Won|
|8||Hughes, PhillipPhillip Hughes||112||86.82||1||Australia||Sri Lanka||Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia||11 January 2013||Won|
|9||Lumb, MichaelMichael Lumb||106||90.59||2||England||West Indies||Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua and Barbuda||28 February 2014||Lost|
|10||Chapman, MarkMark Chapman||124*||106.89||1||Hong Kong||UAE||ICC Academy Ground, Dubai, UAE||16 November 2015||Won|
|11||Rahul, K. L.K. L. Rahul||100*||86.95||2||India||Zimbabwe||Harare Sports Club, Harare, Zimbabwe||11 June 2016||Won|
|12||Bavuma, TembaTemba Bavuma||113||91.86||1||South Africa||Ireland||Willowmoore Park, Benoni, South Africa||25 September 2016||Won |
- ↑ In the second ODI ever played, Amiss became the first player to score a century in the format.
- ↑ The match involving Martin Guptill (New Zealand) had no result.
- ↑ Barnett, Rob (28 February 2014). "Lumb ton in vain". England and Wales Cricket Board. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- ↑ Lang, Jack (25 November 2014). "Recap: Australian batsman Phil Hughes rushed to hospital after being hit on head by bouncer". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- 1 2 3 4 Menon, Mohandas (2 December 2014). "Hughes – a tribute in numbers". Wisden India Almanack. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ↑ Pal 2015, p. 8.
- ↑ Pal 2015, p. 88.
- ↑ Lynch, Steven (25 March 2014). "Twenty for two, and Baz's T20 record". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ↑ "Records / One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Youngest player to score a hundred". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ↑ "First One-Day International: Pakistan v Sri Lanka". Wisden Cricketers' Almanack. reprinted by ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- 1 2 "Bavuma ton sets up crushing 206-run win". ESPNcricinfo. 25 September 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- ↑ Cameron, Don. "Fourth ODI: New Zealand v West Indies 2008–09". Wisden Cricketers' Almanack. reprinted by ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- ↑ "Records / One-Day Internationals / Batting records / Hundred on debut". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- ↑ "Australia tour of England and Scotland, 1st ODI: England v Australia at Manchester, Aug 24, 1972". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "Australia tour of West Indies, 1st ODI: West Indies v Australia at St John's, Feb 22, 1978". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "Benson & Hedges World Cup, 3rd Match: Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe at New Plymouth, Feb 23, 1992". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "Sri Lanka tour of Pakistan, 1st ODI: Pakistan v Sri Lanka at Gujranwala, Sep 29, 1995". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "West Indies tour of New Zealand, 4th ODI: New Zealand v West Indies at Auckland, Jan 10, 2009". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "Zimbabwe tour of South Africa, 1st ODI: South Africa v Zimbabwe at Bloemfontein, Oct 15, 2010". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe, 1st ODI: Zimbabwe v New Zealand at Harare, Oct 20, 2011". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "Sri Lanka tour of Australia, 1st ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka at Melbourne, Jan 11, 2013". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "England tour of West Indies, 1st ODI: West Indies v England at North Sound, Feb 28, 2014". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- ↑ "ICC World Cricket League Championship, 13th Match: United Arab Emirates v Hong Kong at Dubai (CA), Nov 16, 2015". ESPNcricinfo. 16 November 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- ↑ "India tour of Zimbabwe, 1st ODI: Zimbabwe v India at Harare, Jun 11, 2016". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Pal, Suvam (2015). The HarperCollins Book of World Cup Trivia. HarperCollins Publishers India. ISBN 978-93-5177-164-7.